Every brand wants to generate leads, attract more customers and retain their loyalty, and to do that, you need to look at your content marketing strategy. The old adage ‘content is king’ is more relevant today than ever before as we battle for attention in the busy online world.
What is content marketing?
Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action. https://contentmarketinginstitute.com/what-is-content-marketing/
Developing a content marketing strategy
It’s really important to dig into your audience to understand what you need to deliver to them. Start with important questions:
- Who are your customers?
- Who are your potential customers?
- What do they want?
- What are their pain points/problems?
- What do you want to tell them?
- Why should they care?
Content marketing at its heart focuses on your target audience and their journey to purchasing your products or services.
Where to start with your content marketing strategy
- Where are your customers?
- Who are your competitors?
- What makes you different?
- What do your customers want?
- Who are they?
- What do they see and hear about their needs?
- Who/what influences them?
- Persona development is a really useful tool
- Work out what your customers need at different points on their journey.
- Plan it out
- Do an audit and discover where your gaps are
- Plug those gaps
Spread the word
Publishing good quality content is just the first step, you need to promote them to drive traffic to your website.
- Paid media
- Owned media – your own profiles and blog
- Earned media – word of mouth, organic reach
Get it out and spread the word as far as you can!
One piece of content can have lots of formats – turn a popular blog post into a video or podcast episode; an infographic can be chopped up and used as social media banners
Review content performance
You’ve got the strategy and implementing the tactics, now it’s time to measure the impact. Content will always be refined on this journey to make sure you’re creating the right content for the right people.
- How is your content being consumed?
- Are the right people engaging with the content?
- How much are you spending each month on content creation?
- How many leads are being driven from content?
- What is the cost per lead?
Whip your editorial calendar into shape, plan out your content to make sure you’re creating the right thing at the right time. Don’t forget to use your content once you’ve created it.
Identify the pieces that do well and maximise them. How else how you share the messages in there? Is there another format that will resonate with your audience? Make sure you’re using a broad content format mix – hit people with the right information in the right format and at the right time.
Update old content with new keywords, links, campaign messages. You have it already, use it!